Thursday, May 29, 2008

Points for Sharing



Will Maxine crawl? Will she talk? Will she walk? Will she choke on the food we are giving her? And, most importantly, when will she dance?



Ben and I had date night #2 on Friday. Uncle Ted scored us great tickets to the Cowboy Junkies concert. They were great, I had a wonderful mojito, and Ben and I got to ride our bikes downtown. All good things. The lead singer of the band kept going back stage during the concert... just walking off... and I was joking with Ben that she was going back there to throw up (no reason). But, at one point she mentioned that her 5 year old son was back stage and she was watching him sleep on the table back there with his teddy bear under his head for a pillow. Then she said, "All moms wonder if they are doing the right thing." This is the theme of the past several months for me and, from what I am learning, will be the theme of the rest of my life. Good thing to look forward to...



Maxine can push herself up onto her hands and knees. She does a fantastic plank and push up and, for all you yogis, her downward dog is pretty spot on. She scoots backwards, rolls, and climbs... but no crawl. Some predict she will go straight to walking since she spends so much time pulling herself up to a standing position. Many have told me that she can stand unattended for a few seconds but I hardly believe it.



Aside from toast, Maxine hates food. We have fed her bananas, pineapple, peas, squash, sweet potatoes, potatoes, green beans, kidney beans, rice cereal, pears, peaches, applesauce, yogurt, hummus... you name it, by the way she reacts, you'd think she hates it. However, I think she just wants to feed herself and not have everything mashed up. The most success has resulted from us letting her feed herself and suck on whatever we are eating. She sort of likes bananas sometimes... hummus, too. We were steaming her food and blending it but it became such a hassle for nothing. So, we have jarred baby food that we test on her daily. She likes toast (as you can see) and french fries... We are learning to become more lax about what we feed her. Her main subsistence is her all time favorite - breastmilk.



Maxine threw up for the first time a week ago. this was not any spit up, people. Full-on, Exorcist throw up. She was lying on her back and it came out of her with such force that i swear it shot a foot above her before it fountained all over the bed... yes, my bed. She was napping next to me which means that it also fountained all over me. I was beside myself with worry, she didn't seem phased... once I got past what had happened I realized the awful mess that was all over myself, Maxine and the bed... and then I wondered how such a little creature could release so much fluid... why isn't she all shriveled up like a raisin? She is fine, I am fine, and the bed is fine...

The other night, like every night, I went into her room before I went to bed to make sure she was still breathing, etc (I know, psycho mom). As I stood there with my hand on her chest feeling for the up/down movement that indicates that my child is still alive, I thought to myself, "I can't believe we have managed to keep this child alive for 8 whole months! How are we going to do it for 18 more years?"

No comments: